Early Years Founation Stage (EYFS).
The UK-based EYFS is a framework that sets standards for the learning, development and care of children from birth to 5 years old (Foundation Years). It provides broad direction on developmental goals, safety requirements and key focus areas to guide the educational content of preschools, nurseries and kindergarten classes.
The guiding principles of the EYFS are that:
- Every child is a unique child, who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured;
- Children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships;
- Children learn and develop well in enabling environments, in which their experiences respond to their individual needs and where there is a strong partnership between practitioners and parents and/or care givers; and
- Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates.
Additionally, the EYFS outlines learning goals in 7 areas. Most children grow the three prime areas first, which are the most important for their healthy development and future learning:
- Communication and Language Development
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Physical Development
Growth in the prime areas prepares a child to develop skills in four specific areas:
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts & Design
Our preschool schedules provide several opportunities throughout the day for your child to explore and grow in the areas outlined above.